Expert Advisors for (MAG) 7 June 2012
Appointment to the Call – Off List of Expert Advisors to the Ministerial Advisory Group for Architecture and the Built Environment for Northern Ireland
The Department of Culture, Arts and Leisure is seeking to appoint six Expert Advisors to a Call–off list to assist the Ministerial Advisory Group (MAG) for Architecture and the Built Environment for NI in the important area of design review and, on an ad–hoc basis, in other areas where MAG requires additional specialist expertise. The areas of specialism required are: architecture; archaeology; art; ecology; renewable energy; and transport engineering. Applicants must be professionally qualified in a relevant discipline or have made an outstanding contribution to research or practice in one or more of the required subject areas.
The MAG advises the Minister of Culture, Arts and Leisure on the implementation of Government policy on Architecture and the Built Environment.
Skills and Experience
Appointees to the MAG Call–off List of Expert Advisors will be individuals who have demonstrable expertise in designing or otherwise contributing to the built environment. They will have a clear vision and ability to inspire others endeavouring to enhance the visual landscape, achieve greater functionality and ensure that the buildings and places are sustainable.
• Professionally qualified in a relevant discipline or have made an outstanding contribution to research or practice in one or more of the required subject areas. The subject areas are architecture, archaeology, art, ecology, renewable energy, and transport engineering;
• A commitment to the principles and objectives of Architecture and Built Environment policy for NI;
• A thorough understanding of current practice in architecture and the built environment issues impacting upon the quality of the built environment, emerging built environment policy issues, the legislative and regulatory framework; and public procurement procedures;
• A commitment to improving the quality of stewardship and design in architecture and the built environment as evidenced through active involvement or achievement;
• Experience of actively participating in the role of professional critique or in peer group reviews of design aspects of architectural and built environment projects;
• Excellent communication skills, in particular in influencing design outcomes in peer group settings.
Terms of Appointment, Time Commitment and Remuneration
• Expert Advisors will be placed on the MAG Call–off list for a period of 3 years from 1 October 2012.
• The time commitment is variable. However, appointees to the Call–off list of Experts should expect to attend up to 12 design review panel meetings per year. They may also be invited on an ad–hoc basis to assist in other areas where MAG requires additional specialist expertise.
• If called to assist the MAG, Expert Advisors will be paid at a rate of £250 per day (£150 per half day) for the period of engagement agreed by the MAG secretariat. They may also claim associated travel and subsistence allowances.
How to Apply
An application pack can be obtained by contacting us on the following:
Telephone: 028 9051 5157 Text phone: 028 9052 7668
Or by writing to: Corporate Strategy & North South Unit, Department of Culture, Arts and Leisure, Causeway Exchange, Level 8, 1 – 7 Bedford Street, Belfast, BT2 7EG
If you require an application pack in a different format please contact us.
The deadline for receipt of applications is 12:00 noon on 29th June 2012. CVs will not be accepted. Late applications will not be considered.
Interviews are expected to take place in early September 2012.
All applications for appointment are considered strictly on merit.
Diversity in Public Appointments
The Department of Culture, Arts and Leisure is committed to the principle of public appointments based on merit with independent assessment, openness and transparency of process. The Department is committed to equality of opportunity and welcomes applications from all suitably qualified people irrespective of religious belief, gender, disability, ethnic origin, political opinion, age, marital status, sexual orientation or whether or not they have dependants.